Anyways, here is what I was up to over the past few weekends.
Spray painting like crazy!
So a month or so ago, I found a dome from a cheese dome and wooden slab from 2nd Ave. thrift store. I fell in love with the dome and was determined to make a mini cake stand to go with it. I found two matching candle holders at the same thrift store, and used the one making the mini cake stand to go with the dome. When I got it, I hoped I could find a similar dome someday to go with the other mini cake stand I made from the matching candleholder, and sure enough less than 2 weeks later, I found a similar cheese dome (same exact size, just slightly different knob at the top) at the Sal Val, - so now I have a matching set! Woo!
(first dome and cake stand- now the stand is all spraypainted, so it isn't food safe, so you have to have a napkin or something under the food- the plate was a xmas plate that had scratches on it, but it fit the dome perfectly)
(2nd dome and 2nd stand. My cat Wendy loves it too!)
Other things I spraypainted, was I made a bunch more cakestands from plates and candle holders.
In order to make a simple cakestand all you need is:
Dollar store candle holder
dollar store ceramic/glass/plastic plate
1) glue with goop glue plate to candle holder
2) let dry at least 8 hours or so for a good hold, then spray paint just the bottom (I didn't wait to let it dry, and the goop glue candleholders shifted when I spraypainted them and moved them --eek!)
These turned out so cute and were so simple, I made 4 matching, 1 extra, and 1 rainbow one just for me from dollar store and thrift shop plate and candle holder finds.
I also spraypainted a tray I got from a yard sale, which I plan to attach corks to the inside. For now it sits on top of my bar cart with a placemat inside.
- 2 silver picture frames (I have the same exact kind at work and home)
- 1 damask print brand new scrapbook album
- various plates and candleholders to make cakestands
- 2 martini glasses
- 2 small fancy glasses
- Potluck tray and silver wire holder (with spot to put heat candle underneath)
- 2 pairs of jeans (in my new size 12)
- cheese dome (to now match my other mini cakestand)
- 1 working retro milkshake maker/blender
- 1 possibly working bread maker
- 2 picture frames with art/sayings (1 giving away as gift, 1 keeping)
- 1 retro table tennis set (came with 4 paddles, 1 net, 2 braces and 6 balls)
- 1 glass cakestand (I couldn't resist, I'm obsessed now)
- 1 package of pretty scrapbooking flowers
- 1 metalocalypse cd
(if I take more pics of all this stuff, I'll add it in later.)
Besides thrifting and making cakestand goodness, I made a "beer cake" for a friend's surprise 30th bday. He loved it. It was super simple. Basically you just get a big serving tray (circular). Place the bottom row of cans- tape all in a circle, but bow ribbon over tape, then do the same for the inner layer, then smaller for the top layer. Top with big bow and I added balloons too. Great for a guy's bday or event.
Hope your week was fab and fun! I hope to have more finds and DIY laters.