Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lemon Love Sugar Cookies

I just realized I never posted the cute heart-shaped cookies I baked for my husband for Valentine's Day. Wow, I'm slow with this post. haha
Anyways, so we decided this year to go homemade in the Valentine's Day department. He cooked a lovely dinner, I baked.
So I came across this recipe for soft sugar cookies. Thank you I am Baker! I then tweeked it, since I knew my hubs loved lemon (and we didn't have Almond extract- so I used lemon instead!). Hence, the Lemon Love Sugar Cookies.



Lemon Love Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1-½ cup Butter (I Use Unsalted)
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 2 whole Eggs Yolks
  • 4 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 2 teaspoons Lemon Extract
  • 4 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder

Directions:
In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until well combined (roughly 2 minutes). Then, add in the 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks and mix until combined. Next add in vanilla and almond extract; mix until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly (about a cup at a time) add flour to butter mixture and combine. I mixed by hand, as I don't have one of those fancy mixers. Then cover the dough in some saran wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. When you are ready to bake, heat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough out (I rolled mine out on wax/parchment paper), cut out your cookies (I used these adorable heart shaped cookie cutters). Don't forget if your dough gets a little sticky- add a little more flour.




Bake for 6-8 minutes to start. I think I ended up baking them for more like 12-14 minutes, since I've never made these kind of sugar cookies before and wasn't used to the consistency, nor how my newer stove bakes.



Once they were cooled, I covered each cookie with vanilla icing and sprinkles. 



The lemon extract sure did the trick on these- everyone raved about them! They were super soft- something I'm not used to when I bake cookies, but overall I dug how they turned out (and supposedly so did my husband's co-workers and my own co-workers who got the leftover cookies and ate them right up!)



Have a great day!
-M

7 comments:

  1. Yum! They look delicious! Did you make your own frosting too? I love soft sugar cookies and lemon sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! Thanks for sharing them! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I am huge fan of lemon desserts. I hope you share on my blog sometime- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/03/link-party-10.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look divine. We love all things lemon in our house. Thanks for sharing this recipe at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! These look so good!
    I found you today at the 3/8 Creat and Inspire Linky. I hope you get a change to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming over and linking to What to do Weekends. another party opens up tomorrow night. Hope to see you there...Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I love a good sugar cookie - and I love lemon! I'll have to try these. Thanks so much for sharing at our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love all!