I enlisted my mom, when she came to visit, to walk me through the basic idea, so I could crank out a bunch (she now plans to make them for her American doll clothes- Repurpose with a Purpose line of clothes).
It turned out to be SUPER easy.
(me with the 10 bags I made from old shirts- I'll have to take a picture later of stuff in them, so you get the gist a little better, but it was super easy to make these)
Here's how to do it:
- Turn the t-shirt inside out.
- Sew the bottom of the shirt together (this becomes the bottom of the bag). Basically just sew straight across the bottom, sewing together both sides of the shirt.
- Turn the t-shirt back to the right side out
- Take a bowl (or frisbee is what I used) and draw with a marker over the top portion of the shirt, by the neck- this becomes the inside part of the handles.
- Cut along what you drew, basically cutting out the top of the shirt collar- would be cute to make these into little throw-away or reusable bibs if you had kids.
- Cut the sleeves off of the t-shirt on both sides.
TADA! You have a t-shirt bag!
It was super easy. So easy, I made 10 of them in less than an hour! Amazing!
Just try it- I am sure that even the most beginner of sewing skills can do this (I did it after all!).
Enjoy and craft on!