Friday, April 20, 2012

T-Shirt reusable grocery bags

I found this great idea on Pinterest on how to make simple T-shirt reusable grocery bags. Now, I had a HUGE pile of t-shirts that I had saved, after going though all my clothes a few weeks ago to purge after my weight loss, so I was determined to make the shirts into something useful.
I enlisted my mom, when she came to visit, to walk me through the basic idea, so I could crank out a bunch (she now plans to make them for her American doll clothes- Repurpose with a Purpose line of clothes).
It turned out to be SUPER easy.

 (me with the 10 bags I made from old shirts- I'll have to take a picture later of stuff in them, so you get the gist a little better, but it was super easy to make these)

Here's how to do it:
  1. Turn the t-shirt inside out.
  2. Sew the bottom of the shirt together (this becomes the bottom of the bag). Basically just sew straight across the bottom, sewing together both sides of the shirt.
  3. Turn the t-shirt back to the right side out
  4. Take a bowl (or frisbee is what I used) and draw with a marker over the top portion of the shirt, by the neck- this becomes the inside part of the handles.
  5. Cut along what you drew, basically cutting out the top of the shirt collar- would be cute to make these into little throw-away or reusable bibs if you had kids.
  6. Cut the sleeves off of the t-shirt on both sides.

TADA! You have a t-shirt bag!
It was super easy. So easy, I made 10 of them in less than an hour! Amazing!
Just try it- I am sure that even the most beginner of sewing skills can do this (I did it after all!).
Enjoy and craft on!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comment love all!