Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Fall feeling and getting into the Halloween spirit

Hey all, I hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday this lovely second week of October. I finally have started to decorate the house for fall/Halloween. For the most part, the house is fall colors and pumpkins, with only our dining room table and one small part of our porch, Halloween themed. Have I mentioned how much I love pumpkins? They make me smile. ;)


I had a lot of fun decorating the dining room table with my new black candleabra and making my own framed art- super easy to do with 2 sheets of 12x12 scrapbook paper and black sparkle thickers/large letters/numbers. I got these frames at the dollar store for $1 each! I got the purple pumpkins from the Target's $1 bin and the little vials from our dollar store, also for $1 each. I found the cool spiderweb table runner from Michael's on sale. Love it!



I just wish I had a mantle- I think this would look WAY better on a mantle than a round table, but it will have to do for now. (I know- looks a little busy, but I blame having a big table. lol.)



I decided to go the more "Fall" route with the rest of the decor around the house, with little pops of pumpkins, sparkles and hits of Halloween. I had a set of 6 wire pumpkin place card holders I got a few years ago for Thanksgiving, that I decided to add in my little side tables vignettes all over the house. ;)



I love this frame tray (below) that I made during last year's Crop for a Cure in a Stampin' Up! class- it works perfect with my fall/Halloween decor.


As far as our front door- I decided to bring my new mirror-turned-chalkboard into the setup and made my own "witches broom" from twigs in our backyard. I also made my own "witches shoes" from a pair of shoes that I was going to donate, but then realized they'd make perfect witch shoes. hehe. I bought a few mini pumpkins and a mum from our Home Depot, and had a few other fall decor items I've collected through the years. It isn't your Better Home and Gardens front porch, but it serves its purpose. ;)



So the chalkboard was made from those cheap-o door/wall mirrors you can get for a few bucks at Wal-Mart or Family Dollar. This one was left by the previous owners of our house, so it was free to me. ;)
I just taped the frame up, spray painted the mirror with chalkboard paint, and tada!


Also these days, my kitty Wendy, has been wrecking havoc on my front window blinds. (Those that have cats, do yours do this too?) This is her looking back at me when I was outside photographing the porch. lol


Lastly, I forgot to share that 2 weeks ago I tried my first EVER caramel apple. Yes, you read that right- my first ever! Why did it take me 27 years to try one, you might ask? Well... when I was a kid, I would always get sick from applesauce, so I assumed that I would get sick from all apple things, therefore never had caramel or candied apples as a kid. When I got older, I gave fresh apples a try, and found they didn't make me sick (though applesauce still sometimes does). When I was at Celtic Fest a few weeks ago they had caramel apples for sale, and I was determined to have my first one. It was lovely, to say the least. ;)


So what have you all done for your October decor? Fall, Halloween, or both? I'd love to hear from you all!
Have a great Wednesday everyone!
-M
P.S. Keep your fingers crossed for me- I had an audition on Monday for "Brigadoon", and we will find out later this week if I got cast or not. *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comment love all!